Here's where you come to follow the progress of your piece of furniture in the shop. No, wood doesn't talk--or does it? Sure it does! As we work on your piece we learn things about where it's been, how it's been used, maybe even who (or what) has used it, and often about where it came from originally. It's a lot of fun and typically quite interesting.

This space also gives us a chance to let you know about any special experiences or progress related challenges. We try to chronicle work completed on your furniture whenever anything significant occurs. So there may not be an entry every day, but when we document them, we hope you will find these journal entries are fun, informative, purposeful, and creative.

So, have fun "listening" to our dialogue with your piece, as it is, it's Wood Talkin.
Email: woodtalkin@gmail.com

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Naked Promise....a beautiful update

Blushing with modesty
I never would consent to strip a piece before giving it an initial, careful inspection. So, as I previously mentioned, it was that event that told me this piece, manufactured by this furniture company in the 1930's-40's, was very likely to justify my effort. (When I was a kid my dad always reminded me, "Ya gotta do your homework first.") I thought I could see "it" in the way parts of the cabinet had worn to reveal bare wood underneath. The "it,"  the quality of the wood, was quickly evident as the hardwood I could see promised to easily justify the effort I would be committing to this customer and this piece.

I was not disappointed! Removing the cabinet's cut glass surrounds, back mirror, and its hardware, some bare wood began to cough-up a promising story. Those glass pieces were carefully labeled and tucked away before I began hand stripping the cabinet's doors. "Voila!" --solid cherry!  

Oh, it's so, so cool. The cabinet of this little French Vitrine began to offer humble whispers, and an impassioned conversation followed. "Why would they hide all my natural beauty under these three coats.....of the silver-golding process?! (It includes a blue or green base coat, then silver paint, and finished with a gold glaze top coat.)

So, how do ya respond to a talking Vitrine? I used words like, "Um hum," and, "Sure," and, "I suppose your right.." and, "I feel your pain." Then I sensitively reminded this young lady what we're doing. I rehearsed just how exciting her "unveiling" is going to be. Wow...and at long last, how exciting indeed!

So, what you see (above) is what she looks like right now...in the beautiful buff! Just look at those legs! Every inch of her offers a wonderful promise of the glories soon to be her's at her unveiling! A beautiful Cherry Vitrine. Gonna be stunning for sure!

That's Wood Talkin for today. Keep on listening cuz there's more excitement to come!  

Every square inch of the project has contributed

No comments:

Post a Comment